What is STEM?
STEM Education is the integration of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics into real world topics to show students the interrelation between these different subjects and how relevant they are to our everyday lives.
What’s so special about the Step Up STEM Camp?
- Small group sizes of 8 to 10 students to develop individual skills.
- Students pursue a project of their interest.
- Develop strong communication and collaboration skills from Day 1!.
- Learn how to make effective presentations.
- Build effective research and note-taking skills.
- Introduce students to leadership, teamwork, and communication skills.
- Daily physical activity and fun!.
- Become an effective public speaker!.
- Last but not least, learn to think like an engineer!
- Organized and led by Ontario Certified Teachers.
- Present and earn awards from a special guest at the Step Up STEM Fair.
STEM Camp - Step 01
Encourage Students to Build Positive
- Playing communication-based games.
- Interacting with different personalities and characters.
- Challenging their communication skills based on unique situations.
STEM Camp - Step 02
Empower Students to Search Within Themselves for a Passion Project Topic by:
- Conferencing with the teacher about what they are personally interested in.
- Thinking about challenges people face in the world or community and how to make a positive impact.
STEM Camp - Step 03
Teach Students Effective Research Skills so They are Empowered to Pursue their Passion Project by:
- Focusing on how to take effective research notes.
- Recognizing what a credible research source looks like and how to conduct a credibility check.
- Learning to maneuver the internet to find the best possible resources to answer their questions.
STEM Camp - Step 04
Educate Students on the Multi-faceted Role of an Engineer and Show Them How to Think Like an Engineer by:
- Showing students that Engineers are people who solve challenges in the world.
- Laying out the many many different kinds of Engineering roles available in the world.
- Instilling in the students a critical thinking and problem solving mindset through hands on activities.
STEM Camp - Step 05
Show Students that They too Can Create Solutions like an Engineer Through a Project-Based Approach by:
- Using the research they have collected to construct a prototype that will address the challenges they see in the world or community.
- Test out their project to ensure that it works and is effective, and if not, adapt it as needed.
STEM Camp - Step 06
Develop Effective Public Speaking and Presentation Skills to Share Their Findings and Research by:
- Recognizing the importance of tone, pace, posture, facial expressions, eye contact and gestures as they speak.
- Practicing their presentation skills in front of peers and the teacher right from day 1 of the Step Up STEM Summer Camp.
- Learning how to self-evaluate their public speaking skills, as well as accept and integrate constructive feedback.
STEM Camp - Step 07
Present Their STEM Projects to the Class and Teacher on the Final Day to:
- Exhibit all the work they have completed.
- Exemplify the growth they have experienced in regards to public speaking.
- Demonstrate a thorough grasp of their passion project topic by responding to questions.
STEM Camp - Step 08
Participate in the Centre-Wide Step Up STEM Fair to Showcase their Growth and Highlight Their Projects by:
- Setting up a booth with their presentation, engineered project and other artifacts.
- Confidently speaking to guests about their research and accomplishments.
- Demonstrating how their engineered STEM Project solves a challenge in this world to highlight the potential they hold as STEM Scholars.
- Receive an award as a STEM Scholar from esteemed guests.
Summer Camp 2019 STEM Program
STEM Camp, Summer Camp, Summer Programs, Math Programs, Summer Camp Scarborough, STEM Education Scarborough, STEM Camp Scarborough, STEM Camp TorontoRegister Now for Summer Camp